[open-linguistics] OLAC-LLOD

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Tue Jul 16 11:05:56 UTC 2013

Dear Hugh,

> In general I don't see OLAC vocabularies as part of the linked data
> diagram linked to in the original post. I wonder if it should be. Would
> there be something gained by adding it? This may mean that there needs
> to be some infrastructure change in the OLAC website. But the potential
> gain would be that the records of resources in the Linked Data cloud
> would be larger in the order of the number of records added by
> participating archives. (Obviously there are many used for Linked Data,
> and Records are only part of that.) But would there be great gain by
> adding Linked Data endpoints to the OLAC record sets and ontologies?

Actually, Steven Bird suggested something along these lines last year, and
I brought this proposal to an OWLG telco. In the end, we thought having a
meeting at some conference to work out the details might be a good idea,
but this still has to happen.

 From the LLOD perspective, we would encourage any attempt in this
direction because it represents a new data set and may be the best way to
establish a best practice for LLOD metadata specification. From the OLAC
perspective, it would open up their data to a new community, and
subsequently synergies between their data and other data sets may be
possible that we don't currently think of. So, in general, bringing OLAC
to the LLOD has a lot of potential.

Best,
Christian

--