[open-linguistics] Categories for data in the LLOD Cloud Diagram

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Fri Jul 12 15:46:30 UTC 2013

Hi Dave,

> It raises an interesting question of whether bi-text should be a
> classification by itself, or is a characterization of the _link_ between
> two monolingual resources.

We had this discussion yesterday, as well, I think that both views are
feasible and should probably be left to the data providers. There are
other multilingual ressources, e.g., interlinear glosses as harvested in
ODIN (http://linguistics-ontology.org/project/4‎), where data for some
single language may be so marginal (say, 10 sentences or so, for a
selected language) that a language-by-language split wouldn't make much
sense. This is what prevents me from a general recommendation to represent
bitext (in whatever definition) as links between two monolingual resources.

But maybe, this wouldn't bitext after all, would it?

Best,
Christian