[open-linguistics] Call for ideas about organisational structure for OWLG until April 12th

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Tue Mar 26 12:28:37 UTC 2013

Dear all,

first of all, thanks to Sebastian and Jonathan for their summaries.

As for Sebastian's list, I would like to add one additional issue, that is

- *Aggregate and facilitate communication*: one or few persons who keep
track of what is going on, who feel responsible to make sure that there is
something going on at all, who should be addressed if issues arise that
pertain to the OWLG as a whole, and who redistribute this information
through the website/blog, the mailing list and at the telcos.

Of course this covers some of the tasks that Sebastian mentioned, which
are however, much more specific, and actually, somewhat orthogonal to this
task. Maybe we should distinguish between responsibilities for concrete
tasks and the responsibility to maintain an overview to make sure the
group works as whole. I felt the latter was somewhat missing since the
second half of last year.

Technically, this would be what a coordinator would be supposed to do, but
as here are several communities involved, that normally don't come
together at all, it would be recommendable that we appoint *several
people* to this role that interface with their specific communities, say,
the Semantic Web community, typology, and NLP/computational linguistics
(so far, these have been most active, but suggestions for additional
fields and candidates welcome). The main obligation would be to
participate in *every* telco, and every possible meeting, and to stay in
close contact with the other to keep up with the developments in case a
telco/meeting is missed.
The number of people should not be too high, say, five at most, as telcos
with 10 or more participants (we have had some fluctuation there) tend to
be increasingly impractical.

Actually, we had a very similar, but informal structure before, during and
after LDL, and it worked pretty well for a while, just that without formal
responsibilities, we stopped having telcos and meetings since the MLODE
workshop, when people got occupied with more concrete tasks such as
converting data sets, preparing data set descriptions and publishing their
results. Actually, this was a consequence of our success, because the
number of active people substantially increased and we had to specialize,
loosing global coherence a little out of sight. Appointing a few people to
compensate this natural particularization process seems necessary to keep
the group working.

 From a terminological point of view, I would prefer not to use
hierarchy-loaded terms like "chair" or "coordinator", because we like to
stay open to everyone who is interested in participating, but rather talk
about "administrators", as this job also should come with some technical
responsibility (inseparable from the general task to "facilitate
communication"), such as mailing list administration (aside from OKFN
people currently Sebastian Hellmann and me) or web site administration
(aside from OKFN people currently Steve Moran, Sebastian Hellmann and me).

All the best,
Christian

--
Christian Chiarcos