[open-linguistics] [Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

Yannick Versley versley at cl.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Aug 13 09:25:15 UTC 2014

Dear Sebastian,

First, let me say that throughout my work, we've used these
dictionary-and-ontology things (let's call them lexicalized ontologies),
sometimes more than one of them, and it's easy to see why
- a common representation (in terms of a data model such as triples)
- a common name space (such as URI senses)
..makes a lot of sense.
In that sense, Cyc/CycL and microtheories, recent work to provide a uniform
wrapper around multiple wordnets (UBY-LMF) or RDF representations
of wordnets are all instances of one good idea which, if/when it fully
works, would get us a huge step farther.
"If it works", in this case, means:
- certain kinds of inference (such as: is this element linked to that
element via multiple ISA steps, or, what is/are the least common
ancestor(s)) can be supported very effectively
  by in-memory data structures with the right kind of indexing. It's very
hard to do with an SQL database (because their data model is far more
general) but might be efficiently
  supported by an RDF database that understands the subclass/superclass
hierarchy. (With the caveat that Wordnet's hyponymy/hypernymy is not
modeled as subclass/superclass
  for reasons that make sense ontologically, but may be frustrating in
practice)

In the RDF world, we believe in URI senses. I agree, that RDF does not add
> anything to the content of the original data. However, I would argue, that
> it restructures the resource and makes the modeling explicit, transparent
> and re-usable. Also discoverability of data is increased.

I fully agree that RDF's way of adding namespaces through URIs is the way
to go. And TurtleRDF's way of declaring prefixes
means that you can use URIs with a lot less verbosity, i.e.
wn:n0001234 lemon:broader wn:n0002345
intead of having the full URIs in there.

RDF is a Framework to Describe Resources such as WordNet. At the end of the
> day, it should be easier to answer the question, which part of WordNet is
> on ontology (and can be used as such) and what part is merely a dictionary.

Seeing the full lemon spec, it's not always clear to me where the ontology
stops and "the lemon creators shoehorning things such as syntax trees into
an RDF notation" starts.
In a sense, this is an artefact of lemon's creators both trying to capture
commonsensical constructs that everyone will use and doing new exciting
things at the same time.
I find Miller's original intuition of "let's add an ontological component
to a dictionary so you can look up things by meaning" more useful here if
we want an intuition
on WordNet. Other resources (such as VerbNet or FrameNet) share the idea of
having a dictionary joined with some conceptual data model, but have a
focus on information
that is closer to linguistic properties than the sense relations of
wordnets.

I believe, that essentially my community is trying to understand, what is
> currently going on and then model this in OWL, which is similar to UML or
> ER-diagrams.

... which is, again, commonsensical. If you want to model one resource in
another framework, having a meta-model of the data helps. (meta-model
sounds weird here because
usually the model is some SQL or class diagram, and the meta-model is the
one that describes the structure of UML or ER models, again in a
description formalism that could
be translated into UML or ER.)

> Once you have it in OWL, you can mix and merge and transform it into more
> efficient structures like SQL (As John mentioned, Cyc is also providing
> these mappings and it is easy to go down from rich knowledge). The quest
> therefore is to encode human-knowledge into the data on a meta-level, i.e.
> describing the data/resources not the world.

I fully agree. (And, just to be extra-cautious, will point to the
difference between  meta-data and meta-models for linguistic models).

We are in dire need of expert input, however. Hence my attempt to
> cross-post.

For my two cents: I think that many of the practical problems we're facing
(as in: after we've got our data in RDF, can we query the data efficiently
and do we get the answers that we'd intuitively want), the general problems
in knowledge-based AI have been around since ages, but now we have
specific instances of the problem that can tell us more about what kind of
solution can be workable in practice, and where we'll certainly see a
pattern
of early adopters (e.g. the WSD community, because having  all your data in
one place is great and you need some kind of graph but no reasoning in
a more extensive sense) and late adopters (e.g. people who make extensive
use of relatedness measures or techniques that are both complicated and
performance-sensitive enough that it makes little sense to include them in
a generic database).

Best wishes,
Yannick