[open-linguistics] Is this group doing anything for Open Data day?

Saul Albert saul.albert at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 17:35:13 UTC 2014

Hello Open Linguists,

I'm wondering if you lot are doing anything for Open Data Day.

I was thinking of organising a workshop on open licenses and rights
issues for small data sets: the kinds of video/audio recordings and
transcriptions of interaction that linguistic anthropologists /
ethnographers and other qualitative analysts might collect and use.

I'm not sure whether this kind of initiative belongs in Open Linguistics
which seems more big-data/nlp oriented.

I'm also not sure this initiative would amount to anything. Since
learning to work with this kind of data - doing conversation analysis -
I've been horrified by the rights issues, attitudes and lack of
awareness in the field. In fact, I think the retrograde attitudes
towards data ownership and sharing prevent funders taking systematic
qualitative research more seriously.

So - should I put up my hand and wave about this in the Open Linguistics
project context - or should I talk to OKF about a new Open Ethnography
(or something) initiative?

Your thoughts appreciated,

All the best,

Saul.

--
phone: us: +1(323)642-8943 | uk: +44(0)7941255210 / +44(0)2071007915
skype:saulalbert | @saul | http://saulalbert.net