[open-linguistics] Is this group doing anything for Open Data day?

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at web.de
Mon Jan 20 19:46:00 UTC 2014

Dear Saul,

as far as I know, there are no plans for the Open Data Day from our side
at the moment. We do plan, however, another Linked Data in Linguistics
workshop in May. But if you want to push it, your initiative is highly
appreciated and should be discussed over the list or at the next telco.

Thematically, a discussion of the legal situation of small (or large)
datasets of recordings would be highly relevant to the group and is
definitely something we always had on the agenda. Unfortunately, it didn't
go much beyond the intention, so far, as there were other projects lurking
which were also in the scope of the group and which attracted a great deal
of attention (such as the Linked Open Data stuff). But in any case,
everyone on the list would welcome discussions about the legal situation.

The type of data you describe would be very similar to datasets from
typology and language documentation, and a workshop on such kind of data
could continue, e.g., earlier activities such as the Linked Data in
Typology track of the ALT conference organized by Sebastian Nordhoff this
summer. If you want to organize something in this direction under the
umbrella of the OWLG, we can add this as a topic for discussion to the
agenda for the next telco, and you may get in direct touch with the
typology (etc.) folks on the list.

I would personally discourage starting an new OKFN working group as long
as your area of expertise and your interests overlaps with the scope of an
existing one -- unless you already have strong community ties you can
build on. Founding is easy, but not all groups I joined are equally
active, and those that are seem to live from the energy of very few
dedicated people, so you would have to prepare for a huge investment of
time and energy if you want to really keep it alive ;)

Best,
Christian

--
Christian Chiarcos