[open-linguistics] Linguistic relevance

Kristian Kankainen kristian at eki.ee
Fri Jan 23 08:39:39 UTC 2015

Hello!

Excuse my intrusion into the debate without introducing myself. As I
work at the Institute of Estonian Language, I feel included in
Christian's second point. But I want to argue against the importance of
having an associated publication.

I think there exists many datasets without a publication that can be
even more linguistically motivated than those having a publication in
accord. They often convey more pragmatic semantics in a dictionary-like
sense (thus exposing mainly "is_a" kind of relations. This kind of
datasets are often developed inside a working group or individual person
that might not match the criteria of specialization in linguistics etc,
but they are done for solving the need of a "look-up function". This
functionality might very well be general enough to be used by others. I
think this "usability by others" factor could be said to convey a
linguistic relevance, if we look at them as linguistic signs as
agreed-upon but arbitrary :-).

Maybe I just got the logic wrong behind Christian's list: a logical AND
for the two points feels for me too strict. But also, a logical OR feels
too lax (for a country with 1.5 million people, specialization is
necessarily a shallower concept than in a big country).

Best wishes
Kristian Kankainen

22.01.2015 14:37, Christian Chiarcos kirjutas: