[open-linguistics] Linked Open Data and Endangered Languages

Damir Cavar dcavar at me.com
Mon Oct 19 14:43:20 UTC 2015

Hi there,

we are right now setting up the environment and tools to launch
something like that, a linked repository for language data and corpora,
covering among others also endangered language data (processed using eg.
ELAN, Praat, or Flex). On GORILLA

http://gorilla.linguistlist.org/about/

we will set up our own data for a number of languages, i.e.
time-aligned, tagged and translated ELAN files (and corresponding audio
recordings), transcoded and augmented Praat files, and plain TIMIT-type
of speech corpus files etc. with acoustic and language models for
training of Forced Aligners or common ASRs. This is aiming at corpora as
well as speech and language technologies for endangered and
low-resourced languages, and it will serve also as a repository for
language documentation data in general. Two corpora that we created this
summer that are from endangered languages, a bunch more from
low-resourced ones. Since we are busy setting up some of the technology,
it might still take us a month or two to come up with the first data and
catalog.

There are various possibilities. We could host people's data (maybe for
the time being, till you establish a mirror), attach CMDI
meta-information to it, assign it DOIs, and put it up in a linked
catalog that also connects to the CLARIN (and OAI) infrastructure (we
did not set this up yet, just solved the DOI issue right now), and then
we can generate the RDF and so on.

We will come up with more tutorials and material on our site that might
be helpful for you to set up your own repository, maybe mirror ours, so
that we have cross-continental redundancy and backups etc.

Our requirements are that the data is at least CC BY-SA (or CC BY, but
we would not accept an NC clause), if we are to invest in the above
described process of meta-information and linking. We can take any kind
of data into the archive, though. Our GORILLA goal is to document as
many languages as possible using audio or video recordings,
transcription, phonetic or phonemic transcription, PoS-tagging,
translation. We are using a uniform standard (or two, e.g. ELAN
annotation format, Praat TextGrid, TEI XML) and interoperable linguistic
tags or annotations (linking to GOLD and/or ISOCat).

Ritesh, I do not know, whether I could make it to Agra in February, but
I will be somewhere closer there next year spring. We could talk about
that over a private line.

Best wishes

Damir

--
Damir Cavar
Dept. of Linguistics, Indiana University