[open-linguistics] Inclusion of 'non-open' resources in the LLOD cloud diagram

John P. McCrae jmccrae at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Sep 7 14:36:36 UTC 2015

Dear OWLG group,

During the last telco there was some discussion about 'non-open' resources
in the LLOD cloud and I wanted to raise the main issues on the mailing list
for discussion.

For reference, please see the cloud here and view it 'by licence':
http://linguistic-lod.org/llod-cloud

1. Up until now we have allowed a small number of 'closed' resources into
the LLOD cloud diagram although they do not have an open license.
Currently, there are four resources that are included with a closed
license, and as they are not referred to by other datasets I propose we
remove them.

2. There are a number of resources with restrictive licenses like CC-BY-NC
and CC-BY-SA. In the interest of showing a wide acceptance of resources in
the LLOD community, I move we continue to accept any CC (or equivalent)
licensed resource as 'open.' Should we add a particular visual indicator to
these resources in future version of the cloud?

3. Some resources do not have a license in the metadata. From the next
version of the diagram I propose they are not included in the diagram, this
affects: PDEV-lemon, GOLD, CLLD-GLOTTOLOG, Zhishi.me, DBpedia-de and
xLiD-Lexica. (Affected parties please add a license to the record on
http://datahub.io)

4. A particular point of interest was raised about BabelNet in the last
telco, in particular to recent changes, such as no longer offering direct
download of the whole up-to-date dataset. The criteria for inclusion in the
LLOD cloud are given here
<http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Linguistics/How_to_contribute> and as
BabelNet offers SPARQL access it still qualifies for inclusion in the LLOD
cloud. Assuming we are not changing the guidelines I see no reason to
remove BabelNet from the LLOD cloud.

I welcome any comments or counter-arguments to these proposals.

Regards,
John