[open-linguistics] Inclusion of 'non-open' resources in the LLOD cloud diagram

Kristian Kankainen kristian at eki.ee
Wed Sep 9 09:06:18 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I want to follow up on this very sympathetic question. If open datasets
are crucial for reproducing and replicating experiments in research,
then one way to ensure this state is to use a Share-Alike license
(CC-SA). This means that reproducable and replicatable research is also
shared alike as reproducable and replicatable research by all who uses
the datasets.

If one follows this logic, then CC-SA is *not* a restrictive license in
open science and I wonder where that collocation of restrictiveness
comes from.

This seems to be a very sensitive topic in many areas, not only computer
software and the different sciences. Suffice it to say that I don't want
to be seen as an extremist in this point, but in a community minded view
on open science, a share-alike license is very much inclusive. The only
point it is more restrictive about is the ability for others to use the
datasets in their closed end-products. Whether this should be seen as
giving less back to the community and giving more cash to the creator is
something I wish to leave outside a discussion. My point is solely on
the collocation and thus connotation of restrictiveness of these licenses.

PS Share-Alike licenses are also known as Copyleft licenses.

Best regards
Kristian K

08.09.2015 21:57 Judith Eckle-Kohler kirjutas: