[open-linguistics] Inclusion of 'non-open' resources in the LLOD cloud diagram

Menzo Windhouwer Menzo.Windhouwer at mpi.nl
Wed Sep 9 20:49:46 UTC 2015

Hi, Christian, All,

> Unfortunately, the situation wrt. isocat is still unclear (but please
> correct me, if I'm wrong), and as it is going through a restructuring
> process right now, it is quite important to raise our voice to keep it
> alive and (hopefully) open. Maybe the CLARIN members on the list know
>more
> about this.

Indeed the ISOcat Data Category Registry is under revision by ISO TC 37.
But in its last year we did add the CC-BY license to all the data
categories, which are still available on the current read-only website
[1]. See for example:

	http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-3817

At the bottom of the HTML page (and in XML or other representations in a
comment) the CC-BY license is mentioned. Basically the idea is that when
you use a data category you should include its Persistent IDentifier,
i.e., http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-…, to refer to it.

The data categories deemed relevant for the CLARIN infrastructure [2] have
been imported into the new CLARIN Concept Registry [3], which is based on
SKOS. The registry is primarily accessed via a read-only browser, but a
procedure is put into place to add new or change existing concepts (see
[4]). Concepts in the CCR have a handle as PID, which can be used to refer
to it like the ISOcat PIDs for data categories. Also these concepts are
released under a CC-BY license, but I think that could be stated more
clearly (I’ll look into that).

Hope this helps,

Menzo Windhouwer

[1] http://www.isocat.org/
[2] http://www.clarin.eu/
[3] http://www.clarin.eu/conceptregistry/
[4] http://www.clarin.eu/ccr/
--
The Language Archive – tla.mpi.nl

On 09/09/15 16:04, "open-linguistics on behalf of Christian Chiarcos"
<open-linguistics-bounces at lists.okfn.org on behalf of