[open-linguistics] LL-Map up again

Damir Cavar dcavar at me.com
Fri Aug 19 01:53:15 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

we were working hard since the relocation from Michigan to Indiana on a
new version of LL-Map (or LINGUIST List Map). It took us more than two
years to save the maps and rebuild a new interface to access them.

We had to save the data that was created over years at LINGUIST List,
set up new technologies, GIS servers, web server, map editors, manually
transform the maps and data to fit the new technology standards, and
literally work through every single map to save it, to make it
compatible with new GIS software.

We are proud that the data is back up again. We are grateful to all
people who were involved and helped us making this possible, our
graduate assistants at LINGUIST List, Lwin Moe, our tech-person, and all
interns who participated in the LINGUIST List summer activities in 2015
and 2016: Jacob Henry, Jacob Heredos, Chloe Chen, Noah Kaufman.

LL-Map (Beta):
http://llmap.org/

See the list of maps:
http://llmap.org/map/

Or a map of dialects of Western Russia:
http://llmap.org/map/214883/

We would be happy to link these maps to other language data and provide
new types of interfaces. Let us know, if you have ideas or suggestions,
how we could integrate this into the larger LLOD-project.

You will find maps from all regions of the world on LL-Map, the source
and bibliographic reference, where the maps are taken from, and the
digital scan of the original book page showing the map.

The interface is not ready yet, it is not perfect, but it is usable.
Zooming in and out on the map image works with scrolling the mouse up
and down, or pinching around on tablets or other mobile devices etc. It
is actually really usable on tablets or mobile phones. We will be
working on improvements of the interface. Currently it is using
JavaScript, the Django framework, an OpenGIS in the backend, etc.

You can add your own maps to this system. We can show you how you can
contribute.

Sincerely
Malgosia Cavar and Damir Cavar

--
The 2016 LINGUIST List Fund Drive - Please support LINGUIST List with a
donation:

Dr. Damir Cavar
Associate Professor of Computational Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Indiana University
The LINGUIST List
http://cavar.me/damir/