[open-linguistics] A graphical, interactive, multilingual etymology dictionary

Ester Pantaleo esterpantaleo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:15:14 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am writing to you to get some feedback/suggestions on a project I am
developing on my own, and that might be of interest to you.

I am working on an interactive visualization tool for etymological
relationships. I produced a demo of my interactive visualization *etytree*
 here:

http://www.epantaleo.com/2015/12/01/etymology-tree/

Here is a screenshot of word "butter":

​

The aim of the application is to visualize - in one graph - the etymology
of all words deriving from the same ancestor. Users can expand/collapse
the tree to visualize what they are interested in. The textual part
attached to the graph can be easily translated in any language and the app
would become a multilingual resource. My idea is to use Dbpedia's
extraction-framework (for Wiktionary) and develop a (possibly) smart
pre-processing strategy to translate Wiktionary textual etymology into a
graph database of etymological relationships.

Currently I am working on this project on my own in my free time, and I am
looking for anyone interested in the project. I have drafted a project
proposal here
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/A_visual_representation_of_the_etymology_of_words_using_trees#Project_idea>.
So far I have received encouraging feedback from Wiktionary contributors
(see discussion boards here
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Etymology_scriptorium/2016/January#I_have_an_idea_for_a_project:_.22A_visual_representation_of_the_etymology_of_words_using_trees.22>
 and here
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Beer_parlour/2016/January#I_have_an_idea_for_a_project:_.22A_visual_representation_of_the_etymology_of_words_using_trees.22>
).

I would very much appreciate any kind of feedback from you, I'm sure it
would be very helpful to realize this project.

Thank you!

Best,
Ester Pantaleo