[open-linguistics] A graphical, interactive, multilingual etymology dictionary

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Sun Feb 28 14:42:39 UTC 2016

It looks like a great idea.  You could perhaps use the data from
Gerard de Melo's fantastic Etymological Wordnet

 http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~demelo/etymwn/

Currently he links words, but it would be even better if it could link senses.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Ester Pantaleo
<esterpantaleo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am writing to you to get some feedback/suggestions on a project I am
> developing on my own, and that might be of interest to you.
>
> I am working on an interactive visualization tool for etymological
> relationships. I produced a demo of my interactive visualization etytree
> here:
>
> http://www.epantaleo.com/2015/12/01/etymology-tree/
>
> Here is a screenshot of word "butter":
>

> The aim of the application is to visualize - in one graph - the etymology of
> all words deriving from the same ancestor. Users can expand/collapse the
> tree to visualize what they are interested in. The textual part attached to
> the graph can be easily translated in any language and the app would become
> a multilingual resource. My idea is to use Dbpedia's extraction-framework
> (for Wiktionary) and develop a (possibly) smart pre-processing strategy to
> translate Wiktionary textual etymology into a graph database of etymological
> relationships.
>
> Currently I am working on this project on my own in my free time, and I am
> looking for anyone interested in the project. I have drafted a project
> proposal here. So far I have received encouraging feedback from Wiktionary
> contributors (see discussion boards here and here).
>
> I would very much appreciate any kind of feedback from you, I'm sure it
> would be very helpful to realize this project.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Ester Pantaleo

Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Nanyang Technological University