[open-linguistics] Fair use (US) and CC-BY-NC

Víctor Rodríguez Doncel vrodriguez at fi.upm.es
Mon Apr 17 07:44:28 UTC 2017

Dear Christian,

For the US case, you may want to read the article at Stanford on the
four factors
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/

But yes, the EU also does acknowledge to some extent the "fair use",
termed here "copyright exceptions". The EU Copyright directive gives
some guidelines in Art. 5, basically imposing these three conditions for
copyright exceptions to apply ("fair use"):

    (i) it covers only special cases (copies made for scientific
    research and teaching purposes; uses in educational institutions or
    quotation);
    (ii) it does not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and;
    (iii) it does not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of
    the author.

The nuances and differences in the implementation of the Copyright
directive by the different Member States is beautifully represented in
this link:
http://copyrightexceptions.eu/

So, in my opinion, you only have to ask the question yourself whether
the annotated's Bible editor will complain for its figure of sales to
decrease. And in no case whatsoever, you can re-license a work that is
not yours.

Indeed, this is only my opinion and I would be happy to hear a more
qualified voice.

Regards,
Víctor

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)

Campus de Montegancedo s/n
Boadilla del Monte-28660 Madrid, Spain
Tel. (+34) 91336 3753
Skype: vroddon3