[open-linguistics] Fair use (US) and CC-BY-NC

Christian Chiarcos chiarcos at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Apr 19 18:32:36 UTC 2017

Dear  Víctor,

> For the US case, you may want to read the article at Stanford on the
> four factors
> http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/four-factors/
>
> But yes, the EU also does acknowledge to some extent the "fair use",
> termed here "copyright exceptions". The EU Copyright directive gives
> some >guidelines in Art. 5, basically imposing these three conditions
> for copyright exceptions to apply ("fair use"):
>> (i) it covers only special cases (copies made for scientific research
>> and teaching purposes; uses in educational institutions or quotation);
Yes. Germany implements §5.3(a) (and, partially, §5.3(n)), but the key
difference to fair use is that (in Germany) this is "limited to a
pre-defined group of people" ("ausschließlich für einen bestimmt
abgegrenzten Kreis von Personen",
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/urhg/__52a.html). Interpreted in a
strict (and probably correct) sense, this means that I can distribute to
any individual I can name in advance (e.g., a student in a particular
class, or a specific collaborator in a project), but not to other people
that I cannot name right now but that have the same characteristics (e.g.,
future collaborators, students or any extensible group of people, e.g.,
"NLP researchers", "OWLG members"). Effectively, I cannot distribute the
data other than by personal agreement. If I die, the data is probably
locked for the next few decades because I couldn't give it a proper
license, either.
>> (ii) it does not conflict with the normal exploitation of the work and;
>> (iii) it does not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests of
>> the author.
> The nuances and differences in the implementation of the Copyright
> directive by the different Member States is beautifully represented in
> this link:
> http://copyrightexceptions.eu/
>
>  So, in my opinion, you only have to ask the question yourself whether
> the annotated's Bible editor will complain for its figure of sales to
> decrease.

I already know that won't happen (or if it will, the costs will be
marginal). At least for those whose (printed) texts are in the public
domain, only the electronic edition may be protected (but only if its
creation represented a creative act -- this may be debatable). And those
bibles are actually freely available from a number of portals (albeit not
in the specific format I want to encode it in nor with any annotations),
just not with proper license statements (and thus copyright-protected), so
I don't see any financial damage done. Our legal department would be
*much* more cautious, though.

> And in no case whatsoever, you can re-license a work that is not yours.

Of course not. I should have been more precise, I want to distribute my
modifications/annotations and I do not want to claim responsibility for
anything else. It is just that these cannot be redistributed without the
original data,* so I would need to disseminate them as a bundle, under
conditions that preserve those conditions under which I obtained the
original data (i.e., US fair use -- but I don't see any plausible way I
can enforce US law onto something distributed from Germany to users
outside the US). My idea was that CC-BY-NC could be a reasonable
approximation, but this may be wrong.

Best,
Christian

* Actually, they can as standoff, but only  to a limited degree (how to
encode corrections, e.g., a typo -- distributing diffs? -- these are
derived works, and thus copyright-protected, as well), and this is neither
technically scalable (different formats at different portals) nor
sustainable (data providers do not guarantee URL nor format stability).

--
Prof. Dr. Christian Chiarcos
Applied Computational Linguistics

office: Robert-Mayer-Str. 10, #401b