[open-linguistics] VarDial Evaluation Campaign on Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects: VarDial Evaluation Campaign on Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects

Preslav Nakov preslav.nakov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:28:00 UTC 2017

(apologies for cross-posting)

VarDial Evaluation Campaign on Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects

VarDial Evaluation Campaign on Similar Languages, Varieties and Dialects
====================================

Within the scope of the VarDial workshop, co-located with EACL 2017, we are
organising an evaluation campaign on similar languages, varieties and
dialects with multiple tasks.

We are offering four tasks this year:

- (DSL) Discriminating between Similar Languages
Fourth iteration of the DSL task featuring a multilingual dataset
containing excerpts of journalistic texts. Languages included this year
grouped by similarity are: Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian, Malay and
Indonesian, Persian and Dari, Canadian and Hexagonal French, Brazilian and
European Portuguese, Argentine, Peninsular, and Peruvian Spanish.

- (ADI) Arabic Dialect Identification
Second iteration of the task included in the DSL 2016. This year we will be
releasing acoustic data along with speech transcripts for the following
Arabic dialects: Egyptian, Gulf, Levantine, and North-African, and Modern
Standard Arabic (MSA)

- (GDI) German Dialect Identification
In addition to Arabic dialects, we propose an analogous task on the
identification of four Swiss German dialect areas: Basel, Bern, Lucerne,
Zurich. We will provide manually annotated speech transcripts for all
dialect areas.

- (CLP) Cross-lingual Dependency Parsing
The task is to develop models for parsing selected target languages without
annotated training data in that language but annotated data in one or two
closely related languages. We will include the following language pairs:
Target language = Croatian, Source language = Slovenian
Target language = Slovak, Source language = Czech
Target language = Norwegian, Source languages = Danish and Swedish

To participate and receive the training data please fill the registration
form available at the workshop website. The test sets will be released on
January 25, 2017.

Best,
The VarDial organizers