[open-literature] Open Literature Bulletin: Changes to Open Literature Mailing List

James Harriman-Smith open-shakespeare at okfn.org
Sat Oct 22 09:56:06 UTC 2011

Dear All,

First the usual news, then some warning about minor administrative changes
to this mailing list.

* The 'Open Reading' proposal submitted to the University of Bologna's
'Invent the Future' competition was successful, and we shall soon be
receiving funding to finance the development of more links between
annotation and literary work automatically certified as in the public domain
* (more details next week when everything is all a bit clearer)

- Shakespeare and the Internet has now concluded, having attracted three
times the amount of habitual traffic to the website. Another such series is
planned for the future, and I would gladly take suggestions for its topic.
- We have been contacted by CliffsNotes to advertise their new Shakespearean
mash-ups. For those who want to look at them, they can be found here:
http://asm.ly/16o
- New word of the day: 'Harbinger', which has a particularly tortured
etymology. http://openshakespeare.org/word/harbinger
(Note that Open Shakespeare is currently down but will be back soon)

Now, the administrative changes:

- The Open Knowledge Foundation currently hosts both an Open Literature and
an Open Humanities list, each of which receives very few messages.
- With this in mind we have decided to combine Open Literature into Open
Humanities, as many of our concerns overlap.
- In the next week or so, you will probably receive an email welcoming you
to open-humanities at lists.okfn.org: apart from this, there will be no other
visible changes, and I will continue to write literature bulletins on a
weekly basis.
- Further down the line, I shall be writing about changes to the working
group structure, intended to make volunteering for the humanities side of
the OKF far simpler.

Have a good weekend,

James

--
James Harriman-Smith
Open Literature Working Group Coordinator