[open-science-dev] SWAT4LS Hackathon - starting technical planning

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Thu Nov 24 10:30:11 UTC 2011

Dear All

Welcome to those who have joined to discuss the upcoming SWAT4LS hackathon.
This is the space where technical discussions will be taking place and
suggestions/tools/results will also be documented on the wiki
http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/Science/swat4ls_hackathon/ORR.

There has obviously been some pre-planning and one project that several
participants would like to work on is open research reports, which is
summarised here
http://science.okfn.org/2011/10/29/okfn-at-oss2011-open-research-reports/.
We would encourage people to send their own ideas for this project or new
projects to the list in advance of the hackathon.

To start the conversation on ORRs, here are some questions from Peter
Murray Rust regarding extracting information from open access full text
papers:
----------------------------

DAVID/ANDREA: Which are the most important fields for MIIDI? Do you have
HTTP-URI identifier schems for any of them? (I think this is a major
problem for the Semantic Web in Life Sci - we will have to hack some of our
own. My guess is that Wikipedia pages are actually as good as necessary).
NB: MIIDI = Minimal Information reporting standard for an Infectious
Disease Investigation<http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/MIIDI#MIIDI_.E2.80.93_a_Minimal_Information_reporting_standard_for_an_Infectious_Disease_Investigation>

Mark will (I think) provide links to the fulltext for the Open papers. I
would like to see mark up of places if possible - we may be able to kludge
our Chemicaltagger software which extracts places from atmospheric
abstracts. Of if anyone knows of an pensource geotagger that would be
useful.

I can run OSCAR4 to extract chemical names from text - I think this is
probably a good example of automatic markup. It should find drugs, etc.

Suggestions and comments welcome (please also ask questions!)

Jenny