[open-science-dev] Global platform for scientific knowledge project seeks programmers

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Mon Jan 23 12:20:27 UTC 2012

Hi All

Jus to advertise a project getting started at the University of Oxford. The
aim is to build a global platform for scientific knowledge based on article
bibliographic data with automatic retrieval of related material such as
blog posts, post peer review comments, datasets and more accessed via a
simple to use web interface.

The project is advertising for volunteers to assist with programming,
please see the advert below and get in touch with Simon Benjamin if you'd
like more information:

SEEKING PROGRAMMER

An ambitious new project in Oxford needs programmers to join the team.
We're taking a bold approach to open science: help us build a brand new
global platform for scientific knowledge.

The project will involve:

** Writing code for harvesting key information from online documents.
** Building highly scalable databases (eg. MySQL).
** Constructing a web-based user interface (eg. html 5, flash, etc).

We're particularly interested in people who are pragmatic, tenacious, have
a concern for elegance, and love problem-solving.

Think you might be the one? If you can spare at least 5 hours per week,
we'd love to hear from you! Send an email to simon.benjamin
@materials.ox.ac.uk for more details.

Jenny