[open-science-dev] London Citizen Cyberscience Summit, 16-18 Feb

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Tue Jan 24 01:24:12 UTC 2012

Dear All

Some of you might be interested in the following meeting. Registration and
submission of proposals for demos or workshops can be found here
http://www.citizencyberscience.net/summit2/.

We hope to get plenty of OKF representation at the hackfest on the Saturday
so do sign up if you can!

Jenny

*On your marks…*

The London Citizen Cyberscience Summit in 2010 brought together for the
first time *volunteers and scientists* from a wide range of Web-based
science projects, ranging from volunteer computing
(SETI at home,ClimatePrediction.net)
to volunteer thinking (GalaxyZoo, Herbaria at home) to volunteer sensing
(EpiCollect, NoiseTube) and much more.* Historians, journalists, teachers
and businesspeople* all brought their angle on citizen cyberscience to the
event. Above all, it was a chance for the some of the millions of
volunteers who make citizen cyberscience so successful to tell their story.

*Get set…*

The Second London Citizen Cyberscience Summit, *16-18 February 2012*,
promises to be just as pioneering in its scope, and even more innovative in
its format – ranging from classical academic seminar on the first day,
through to full-fledged open hardware hackfest on the last. It will take
place at the *Royal Geographical Society* (on the 16th) and at *UCL* (17th
and 18th), in London.

*Go!*****

*On Day 1,* we set the scene. (Thursday 16th February 2012, Royal
Geographical Institute). Meet some of the *leading figures in citizen
science* and explore the process of public engagement and participation,
outreach of *citizen science to the developing world*, and the undertaking
of *"extreme" citizen science *projects, in rain forests, arctic tundra, or
urban jungles.****

*On Day 2, *we look beneath the surface. (Friday 17th February 2012, UCL).
Experts will discuss the *hardware and software* that powers citizen
cyberscience. There will be a* panel discussion with citizen scientists* on
why participation and engagement, and a showcase of *new and future citizen
science projects*. Throughout the day, we will start exploring how we can
develop new sensors and software to facilitate citizen science in the
hackfest. There will be plenty of space for unconference sessions and
exploration of new ideas together.****

*On Day 3,* we get down to business…together! (Saturday 18th February 2012)
This will include further *unconference sessions*, and a *hackfest* for
development of hardware and software prototypes, demos and mock-ups, with
awards for the most innovative creations!****

*• Register and buy your ticket <http://lccs2.eventbrite.com/>*