[open-science] Openness and Licensing of (Open) Data

Heather Morrison heatherm at eln.bc.ca
Fri Feb 6 17:36:11 UTC 2009

I agree that this is an excellent summary of the discussion, although
my point about commercial entities has at least as much to do with
business practices as it does with technical means of suppression.
That is, if a free service is made available through toll access and
then the free service is not maintained, the public domain becomes
effectively captured.  Unless the capturing entity has an obligation
to at least release the data they received from the public domain.
That is sharealike.

The idea of scholars writing simple notes to go with data has a lot
of appeal for me.  This brings scholars themselves into the
discussion, and allow norms to evolve from the community.

Public domain (including commercial use) makes sense to me for data;
but it may be that the concept of public domain needs to evolve.
What if I want to give my work to the public domain, including
responsible / fair commercial use, but excluding exploitative use
(such as locking up the public domain)?

As an example of where I would be concerned about norms of giving
away work for the public domain, including commercial work:  This
would mean that scholars in developing countries would give away
their data, and companies could make use of the data to create
products to sell, whether information products based on adding value
to the research through data-mining, or products such as new drugs,
etc.  This would be exploitative, and could potentially increase the
economic divide.

I am sure exactly what the best approach to a solution is here.
Norms for data that reflect a fair / responsible public domain - or
is it the laws that regulate businesses that should require some
elements of fairness / responsibility (or the triple bottom line)?

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail is that of the author alone, and
does not represent the opinion or policy of BC Electronic Library
Network or Simon Fraser University Library.

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com