[open-science] Why not publish data?

Neylon, DC (Cameron) cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 16:06:13 UTC 2009

Also left this as a comment at the blog:

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by a "journal". I would be against
the idea of creating a formal journal (with peer review, page numbers,
indexes) for data because I think it would retrograde step. The web was
built to house datasets and we are now building an infrastructure that will
let this be done properly. I think it much more effective to build purpose
built systems designed to hold, aggregate, and process data in sensible, and
web native, ways.

If however you mean that there is value in making datasets citeable objects
and providing incentives for people to "publish" datasets in a useful way
then I am all for it. The crystallography community have been most effective
at creating "data journals" (the Acta Cryst set) and it is because of these
journals that crystallographers are amongst the most cited and highly
published scientists.

The flip side of this is the tendency of people to try and push "dataset
shaped pegs into paper sized holes". Many of the papers that describe both
biological structures and genome sequences seem to be a dataset in a
desperate search for some sort of interesting statement that can be hung off
it. Many interesting and important structures and sequences would have been
better published as "here it is, make of it what you will" rather than
trying to craft a somewhat nebulous paper around it.

The same could be said of the publication of software tools (and indeed
databases). People are desperate to publish a paper so they can add it to
their CV and so that people have something to cite. Not because a paper is a
good way of describing or documenting the work, but because it is the only
way people can currently get credit.

So my argument would be that we need to expand the way we use and apply
citations, and make much more serious efforts to make databases, web pages,
tools, etc all solid citeable objects. Otherwise we are going to end up with
a lot more journals (don't we have enough already?) and all the additional
overheads that go with it. If the purpose of creating a journal is only to
make the dataset citeable then I think there are better ways of going about
it.

--
Scanned by iCritical.