[open-science] Rare Sharing of Data Leads to Progress on Alzheimer’s (NYTimes)

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 16 12:09:30 UTC 2010

Some of my colleagues are working with part of these data (mainly MRI
scans), and I am registered for their site as well, using the data
mainly for testing purposes.

I agree that their conditions for access to data are more open than
those of most research projects in the neuroimaging field,
but think that they are miles away from the kind of open data sharing
that is common practice in genetics or astrophysics and the goal of
OKFN.

Things are complicated by the need to balance openness of the data
with privacy of the participants in the study.

For more details, see
http://www.loni.ucla.edu/ADNI/Data/ADNI_DataUsers.shtml and follow the
"apply now" link.

Daniel