[open-science] Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Sat Feb 20 15:22:22 UTC 2010

I would add slightly to this. The point of the PP was for it to apply after
the decision to publish the data has been made. We completely sidestep the
issue of when it should be published. As Peter says, privacy is an issue
with the decision to publish, not any decision about how that data is made
available. Note that the PP makes no comment at all as to when, or even if,
data should be published.

The issue of the definition of data is a fair one, but it is essentially
impossible to define in a way that will capture all the different
definitions that people want. We can count angels till the cows come home,
or we could rely on legal definitions (which would be inconsistent). I¹m
pretty happy with ³I know it when I see it². This is not supposed to be a
legal code, this is supposed to be statement of principle.

Cheers

Cameron

--
Scanned by iCritical.