[open-science] Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Jessy Cowan-sharp jessy.cowansharp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:12:39 UTC 2010

Apologies for the belated reply. Some thoughts:

As someone passionate about this but new to the community and its inner
workings, only after reading John's post about why this is significant did I
really get a better sense of, well why this is significant. I appreciate now
that the two big players in this space are essentially agreeing to some
common ground, which is necessary for moving forward. Hooray!

As a scientists, if I work with a data set, I'll look at this and say,
great, yes, I agree-- and then move on. The real question is how to make
this actionable. For example, can we provide a microformat of some kind for
data sets? Something that includes a wrapper for links to data with license
info? But then that separates the license info from the data, which is
suboptimal. That said, software licenses are simply distributed "with"
software, and not necessarily "inside" it. So, perhaps that's acceptable.

Could something like a code snippet/microformat use a webhook (web callback)
that calls back to a site such as CKAN or infochimps and registers it in
their database? This would not prevent scientists from hosting their data
wherever else they want, but would provide a similar function to
arxiv.org(and an equally important mirroring function, which I
assume/gather CKAN
already does?). And one could say that regardless of where else it is
hosted, if it's in these data registries, then that suffices to meet the
criteria. This would also make it super easy for scientists to participate.

I'm sure there's many other, probably better, ways to do it, this is just
one thought. And of course we need the concrete ideas before implementation
of those ideas can occur, so definitely agreed this is a great start! Thanks
for humouring the n00b, and apologies if this has all been covered before.

Are there interests/plans for going further into the "operationalization"
realm?
Jessy

Jessy Cowan-Sharp
p: http://jessykate.com