[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:39:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM, John Wilbanks
<wilbanks at creativecommons.org> wrote:
> Sorry to be pedantic here, but if you do not use a legal tool, you are
> not in compliance with the principles. In the absence of a legal tool
> the data *are not open* by default, especially in the uk and the eu.
> These principles will mean very little if the data they attach to are
> not legally open.

I have seen people claim data as OpenData... but I have too been so so
comfortable using this data, because of the lack of standardized
waiver (/license)... I endorse PP because it indeed strongly
encourages to do that.

I would also say that just claiming OpenData without waiver is not
quite in compliance with the principles... at least, that's how I read
them.

Egon

--
Post-doc @ Uppsala University
Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg