[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Feb 24 10:21:27 UTC 2010

I agree with John that in order to be compliant (as stated in the
principles) data publishers should use a legal tool like CC0 or PDDL
or have some other explicit legal statement about the data. Just
linking to the Panton Principles is not sufficient to show that data
is open. It is equivalent someone wearing a badge saying 'I support
vegetarianism' - which does not say whether or not the person wearing
it is a vegetarian.

Perhaps it could be useful to have a brief guide to making data open
using existing legal tools on Panton Principles site? I.e. CC0/PDDL?
(Which is of course not to say that there aren't other ways of putting
things in public domain...)

All the best,

Jonathan