[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 16:37:20 UTC 2010

I will be difficult and agree with both John and Peter :-)

I think we need two things. Some very simple instructions and/or a service
for quickly generating the relevant graphic(s) and markup. Text instructions
on the PP page and knock up a web service somewhere else? The key is to make
it as easy as possible and to not confuse people with issues of the
difference between buttons, legal waivers, and badges.

Secondly to look at where we could start baking this into processes to
provide good examples of practice. Is it for example possible to (as an
option of course) bake a licence into ATOM feeds in Clarion for instance? I
was talking with Andrew from the SAGE project yesterday about capturing
processes and release data formats so maybe this is another good place where
we could bake the addition of appropriate buttons and legal terms into the
analysis process?

Also agree with John that avoiding letters in circles is a good idea but for
a slightly different reason. The circle references copyright and that is one
reference I think we want to avoid as far as possible. As an aside I find it
interesting that everyone makes the connection between "letters in circle"
and creative commons reference rather than to copyright. This is great
progress to me!

Cheers

Cameron

On 24/02/2010 02:21, "Jonathan Gray" <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:

> I agree with John that in order to be compliant (as stated in the
> principles) data publishers should use a legal tool like CC0 or PDDL
> or have some other explicit legal statement about the data. Just
> linking to the Panton Principles is not sufficient to show that data
> is open. It is equivalent someone wearing a badge saying 'I support
> vegetarianism' - which does not say whether or not the person wearing
> it is a vegetarian.
>
> Perhaps it could be useful to have a brief guide to making data open
> using existing legal tools on Panton Principles site? I.e. CC0/PDDL?
> (Which is of course not to say that there aren't other ways of putting
> things in public domain...)
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Egon Willighagen
> <egon.willighagen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM, John Wilbanks
>> <wilbanks at creativecommons.org> wrote:
>>> Sorry to be pedantic here, but if you do not use a legal tool, you are
>>> not in compliance with the principles. In the absence of a legal tool
>>> the data *are not open* by default, especially in the uk and the eu.
>>> These principles will mean very little if the data they attach to are
>>> not legally open.
>>
>> I have seen people claim data as OpenData... but I have too been so so
>> comfortable using this data, because of the lack of standardized
>> waiver (/license)... I endorse PP because it indeed strongly
>> encourages to do that.
>>
>> I would also say that just claiming OpenData without waiver is not
>> quite in compliance with the principles... at least, that's how I read
>> them.
>>
>> Egon
>>
>> --
>> Post-doc @ Uppsala University
>> Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg
>> Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
>> Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
>> PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers

Scanned by iCritical.