[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Thu Feb 25 19:29:14 UTC 2010

To be clear, if there is no legal tool attached, my position is that the
principles are not met. If you can't unambiguously tell that the data is
legally open, then the data is closed. Full stop. If it's in the EU, or the
UK, it's definitely closed. PDDL, CC0, handwritten note waiving rights,
whatever works. But in the absence of a pre-granted right to the user, it's
not open data.

The point of the principles was to come to consensus about what open data
was. Legal uncertainty violates every principle we have at Creative Commons
about open data.

I hate to be dogmatic, but this is very important. Please copy me on any
such text so I can evaluate it. If PP turns into making assertions about PD
status that aren't backed by legal reality, I will be forced to consider
un-signing.

jtw