[open-science] Open Science Microformats/Pattern languages? was Re: Launch of the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science + Is It Open Data?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 15:30:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> I agree with John that in order to be compliant (as stated in the
> principles) data publishers should use a legal tool like CC0 or PDDL
> or have some other explicit legal statement about the data. Just
> linking to the Panton Principles is not sufficient to show that data
> is open. It is equivalent someone wearing a badge saying 'I support
> vegetarianism' - which does not say whether or not the person wearing
> it is a vegetarian.
>
> Perhaps it could be useful to have a brief guide to making data open
> using existing legal tools on Panton Principles site? I.e. CC0/PDDL?
> (Which is of course not to say that there aren't other ways of putting
> things in public domain...)

I have talked with Rufus and we have converged on attaching a form of words
with the button which is simple and I think satisfies our various concerns.
I need something which is almost trivial to implement; others need something
which is legally acceptable. We've agreed Rufus will post it to make sure
it's correct.

P.