[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 19:30:24 UTC 2010

I like this idea a lot. Could I make a suggestion that the fifth one, rather
than being advocacy should be to make physical materials available? Creative
Commons have done a lot of work recently on generic MTAs in an effort to
make sharing physical materials as easy and consistent as data and code.
Advocacy for me is the centre of the flower and the five petals Open Data,
Open access papers/communication, Open Code, Open process, Open Materials.

I am giving a similar 10 minutes at the summit (I think on the same panel as
Peter?) and was intending to focus on process as the area that has received
the least work and has the weakest framework to build on in my view.

So for instance we can say as criteria:

Data -> PP
OA -> SPARC OA Seal, CC-BY
Code -> OSI compliant
Materials -> CC-MTA (actually I'm unsure what level should be recommended
here)

Process -> ? We don't really have equivalents beyond Jean-Claude's
delayed/non-delayed and full record/partial record ONS claims

Cheers

Cameron

--
Scanned by iCritical.