[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 19:49:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Cameron Neylon <cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk>wrote:

> I like this idea a lot. Could I make a suggestion that the fifth one,
> rather
> than being advocacy should be to make physical materials available?
> Creative
> Commons have done a lot of work recently on generic MTAs in an effort to
> make sharing physical materials as easy and consistent as data and code.
> Advocacy for me is the centre of the flower and the five petals Open Data,
> Open access papers/communication, Open Code, Open process, Open Materials.
>
> I am giving a similar 10 minutes at the summit (I think on the same panel
> as
> Peter?)

I am down the for evening before (and  also for the panel).

and was intending to focus on process as the area that has received
> the least work and has the weakest framework to build on in my view.
>
> So for instance we can say as criteria:
>
> Data -> PP
> OA -> SPARC OA Seal, CC-BY
> Code -> OSI compliant
> Materials -> CC-MTA (actually I'm unsure what level should be recommended
> here)
>
> Process -> ? We don't really have equivalents beyond Jean-Claude's
> delayed/non-delayed and full record/partial record ONS claims

There is a lot of undercurrent at the moment about what I'll call Open
Methodology. Give use not only your data but what you did with it. That's
hard. A lot of people don't realise how technically hard that is. We are
trying to address this in Open Bibliography.