[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

William L. Anderson band at acm.org
Wed Jul 7 20:14:01 UTC 2010

Michael Nielsen wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, Cameron Neylon wrote:
>
>> Of course, as you point out, most projects have no technical return
>> path at all and that is something that is measurable. What sort of
>> standards and expectations would be appropriate to build in there?
>> What is appropriate for different kinds of projects (with different
>> issues around privacy/security/time availability?). Is there a minimal
>> standard?
>
> In many, perhaps most cases a cleaned up version of my question is, I
> think, clear enough: does the project (1) offer substantive ways for
> non-professionals to contribute to the science, and also (2) encourage
> that involvement?
>
> For most scientific projects the answer is a clear "no".  For arXiv the
> answer is also "no".  For Galaxy Zoo etc the answer is a clear "yes".
> I'd be interested if anyone knows offhand what the policies for
> deposition are at places like GenBank.  I wouldn't be surprised if the
> big databases are all over the place on this issue, with the answer
> often being that (1) is possible in principle, but that the answer to
> part (2) is "no".  So they don't satisfy the criterion.

In terms of measurement it is better to describe the kind of behavior we
want from each other in terms of open, multi-way communications, and
look for ways of measuring that. In some sense it is irrelevant what my
attitude is, as long as I behave in acceptable ways.

What metrics can we use to measure "encourage involvement"? This has two
parts to be measured; viz., "encouragement" and "involvement". What are
the properties of "involvement" that can be automatically measured?

If Galazy Zoo is a clear "yes"; then how is that answer determined? Can
it be determined automatically, or can part of that answer be determined
automatically? [I believe so.] Is there a necessary subjective
evaluation needed?

An answer to how Galaxy Zoo gets a "yes" and arXiv a "no" is the basis
for establishing criteria for other projects.

> [ ... ]

-Bill Anderson