[open-science] Open science, citizen science and 'participation' (was Re: OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley)

Angus Whyte a.whyte at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:16:22 UTC 2010

Issues about the properties, standards and expectations of 'involvement'
or participation in research brings to mind discussion a couple of weeks
ago on human subjects and privacy - e.g. responses to Libby Bishop's
question.  I have questions about what seem to be conflicts between
openness (as in the open knowledge defnition) and the standards and
expectations that operate in fields with a tradition of participatory
research, e.g. in health and social sciences. The questions I have
(please excuse their length) are about:

- The principle of "mutual ownership" of the processes and products of
the research enterprise. I don't think this necessarily translates to
these being in the public domain - for example collaborative research
between academic and user partners is often based on agreements to share
IP and access rights, at least for a period. I acknowledge some on this
list would not support that, and my point is that mutual ownership
logically excludes proprietary ownership by the academic 'lead partner'.
Does citizen science? My question on this is prompted by some recent
interviews with researchers on open working in their field- one view was
that citizen science is primarily about reducing research costs or
making certain tasks doable with volunteer effort, and is an orthogonal
issue to ownership of the results. Have any principles of citizen
science been articulated that do tie involvement to mutual ownership -
in the moral if not legal sense? If so do they include attribution of
effort?

- The principle of "informed consent" strongly influences not only
privacy legislation but also the ethical obligation in human subjects
research to seek permission for data re-use, whenever this departs from
the original purpose the data was collected/created for. I know of some
work on 'open consent' in the area of genomics research, where the
principle has been challenged by the 'long term public good' argument,
and the point that genetic data is in any case shared with ones blood
relatives, so individual consent breaks down. The open consent model
asks volunteers to acknowledge that the purposes 'their' data may be
reused for cannot be foreseen. However volunteers retain the right to
withdraw their consent for further uses of the data at any time. This
gives citizens/volunteers an informed decision about whether to give up
some privacy right for a promised public good. Considering the extension
of open data principles to human subjects data, how is this consistent
with a right to withdraw consent to data re-use?

It seems to be the key point underlying both of these questions is that
'involvement' or 'participation' suggests an ongoing relationship
governed by principles of mutual consent and a shared stake in ownership
among members of a community - whether defined by contract or social
norms - but are contrary to the principle of openness to the extent that
'open' means absence of any restriction or conditions on reuse.

Grateful for thoughts on this or any pointers to discussion elsewhere. I
should point out I'm writing up results of the interviews I mentioned
for an article, and will acknowledge any comments I get.

--
Dr Angus Whyte