[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

Cameron Neylon cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 08:34:32 UTC 2010

Just a few brief comments:

Not sure about the colour! I was reading through your description of
yourself and thought ³Open Source ­ Red, huh?². Might blue/yellow be better?
Obviously green is not an option...

I still feel that open materials is an important addition. In much (most?)
biological sciences you could make all the results, process, data available
and still block anyone else from re-using, exploiting, or reproducing your
research by not making the underlying physical materials (tools, samples,
etc) available. Obviously its a much harder problem to crack because these
are usually rivalrous goods. I¹d still be inclined to reduce the number of
petals if possible ­ too many starts to get confusing I think.

> Although I support OpenNotebook science (where the data are immediately
> published to the world) I don't think it's essential (or possible) for all
> science.

My personal view of ONS is that it is simply a question of when things are
released.  I think the key point is that when a decision to publish is made
that each of the ³open areas² gets considered. That¹s an achievable goal
within existing publishing and funding structures. So ONS can be framed as a
question about how and when to publish and the question as to what should be
published is orthogonal.

Cheers

Cameron

--