[open-science] OKF: What shall I say at the Open Science Summit in Berkeley

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 16:07:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Cameron Neylon
<cameron.neylon at stfc.ac.uk>wrote:

>  Just a few brief comments:
>
> Not sure about the colour! I was reading through your description of
> yourself and thought “Open Source – Red, huh?”. Might blue/yellow be better?
> Obviously green is not an option...
>
> Yes - maybe red->blue

> I still feel that open materials is an important addition.

I agree - though this is even more difficult than data - and is not
cost-free. I think Science Commons is active here

In much (most?) biological sciences you could make all the results, process,
> data available and still block anyone else from re-using, exploiting, or
> reproducing your research by not making the underlying physical materials
> (tools, samples, etc) available. Obviously its a much harder problem to
> crack because these are usually rivalrous goods. I’d still be inclined to
> reduce the number of petals if possible – too many starts to get confusing I
> think.
>
> Although I support OpenNotebook science (where the data are immediately
> published to the world) I don't think it's essential (or possible) for all
> science.
>
> My personal view of ONS is that it is simply a question of when things are
> released.  I think the key point is that when a decision to publish is made
> that each of the “open areas” gets considered. That’s an achievable goal
> within existing publishing and funding structures. So ONS can be framed as a
> question about how and when to publish and the question as to what should be
> published is orthogonal.

I agree and I am going to blog something. But I tried this 2 years ago and
allowed a day for the summarised computational data to get to the web page
and was told this delay meant it was not ONS. That it gave me an advantage.
I suspect some of this was mischievous, but anyway the area needs
clarifying.