[open-science] State of "Is it Open Data"?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jul 26 07:59:27 UTC 2010

On 20 July 2010 06:48, Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just extracted about 3.3M SMILES strings (chemical line notation)
> from PubChem for a subset of structures I need to algorithm
> validation. Of course, I'd like to share this data set Openly, as I
> know at least one other person who is interested in it, and we would
> like to compare results...
>
> So, I went over to "Is it Open Data" [0]. But browsing the queries, I
> note that many are actually unanswered since the post in 2009... what
> is the workflow here with respect to following up on queries?

A big issue we have here at the moment is that:

a) people are under no obligation to respond
b) we probably should add a facility to ping automatedly enquiry
creators if their enquiry has not got answered after a certain time.
(E.g. my enquiry to UN [1] seems to have disappeared into the long
grass so I should ping them again)
c) people sometimes respond out of band (where you write to people you
sort of know) (e.g. the planning alerts data enquiry [2] was
successful but they didn't respond on the site and I think this was
also true for some of PMR's enquiries). This is a problem as it means
we don't have a public statement.

[1]: <http://www.isitopendata.org/enquiry/view/a9610524-d391-465e-b785-b100eda99e37/>
[2]: <http://www.isitopendata.org/enquiry/view/010f2fb6-1315-480d-995d-0134185f3dd6/>

> Otherwise, it would be nice if people could express their interest in
> a resolution for that particular query... sort of voting, so to say.
> For example, I quite like the queries about the data in Chemistry
> Central and J. Chem. Inf.

I think this would be a great feature. Any interested coders :) ?

Rufus

> Egon
>
> 0.http://www.isitopendata.org/
>
> --
> Post-doc @ Uppsala University
> Proteochemometrics / Bioclipse Group of Prof. Jarl Wikberg
> Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
> Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
> PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers

Open Knowledge Foundation