[open-science] Panton Papers

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 27 01:25:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Michael Nielsen <mn at michaelnielsen.org>wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
>  Amazing! In the first instance I created a pad for this here:
>>
>>  http://science.okfnpad.org/PantonPapers
>>

> Added Peter's original list of issues, and a couple of my own here, with
> some minor edits and comments.  Hope that's okay (please let me know if
> not).

Of course it is!

I see my role as a catalyst/seed at the moment, roughing out the issues.
Some I am much more familiar with than others. For example I am reasonably
expert in text- and data-mining while I am undoubtedly patchy in "who owns
data". So I think it would be fairly easy to get out something on *-mining,
while it could take months while we wrangle (necessarily) over the legal,
contractual and moral issues of data ownership.

In some cases I think we can reasonably create a set of generalities and
questions (e.g. a sort of checklist for people venturing into this
sub-domain). In others such as ownership we may have to have a
county-by-country account of legislation and maybe even per-institution.

We are *absolutely relying* on others to contribute! I doubt if anyone has
the whole picture