[open-science] Fwd: Open data and Panton Principles

Finn Aarup Nielsen fn at imm.dtu.dk
Mon Jun 28 14:40:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Chris Rusbridge wrote:

> [...] However, I do remember investigations into Crown Copyright etc,
> well before the current openness regime, that suggested that only
> Ordnance Survey made any significant (5 figures or higher) annual
> returns on IP exploitation, [...]

I wonder if your UK Met Office hasn't some income from selling data?

If I understand a report correctly (http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/aar_08.pdf) I
see that 'Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut' has an income on around 50
million DDK (~7 million Euro) 'selling goods and services'. That is around
20% of their total income. Processed data costs 0.75 DDK per parameter
(0.1 Euro).

/Finn

          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/