[open-science] Fwd: Open data and Panton Principles

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Mon Jun 28 14:50:59 UTC 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Chris Rusbridge wrote:

> Speaking as someone who agreed such a restriction in the past, as the then Director of the Digital Curation Centre: we had an obligation to pursue "sustainability" as an explicit part of our funding conditions.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with wanting to make money, if only to support oneself.

> On that basis, we decided that our default licence would be CC-BY-NC-SA. Our reasoning was that if there was money to be made from our resources, our sustainability obligation meant we had to try to be part of it. Putting a NC restriction doesn't mean "no commercial use, ever". It means "no commercial use unless you discuss with us the terms and conditions".

Ahh... that dreaded SA, another seemingly virtuous condition -- "do as I do" because, heck, I know best. But, that is another issue.

Back to the point -- yes, all CC licenses have a "waiver" clause whereby any and all of the license conditions can be waived if permission is asked first. But, why not make that clear right up front? Isn't it better to say "Do what you want OR if you are going to make money with my data, share the wealth"?

Personally, I think one should be either in the "give data away" or "make money from data" business... one or the other, or both, but with a clean line between the two. As clean as possible. As little confusion as possible.