[open-science] IsItOpen letter for feedback

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 11:52:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Heather Piwowar <hpiwowar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that Nature's response requires some careful reading.  Nonetheless,
> kudos to them for responding.

Indeed. I left a comment in your blog post (being moderated).

"About that YES on 4 ("May the extracted data be used as Open Data
[1,2] without discrimination against users, groups, or fields of
endeavor?") and 5 ("May users expose the extracted data as Open Data
[1,2], in a manner consistent with the Panton Principles
(http://pantonprinciples.org/)? Specifically, may they expose the
extracted data on the internet under a Public Domain, PDDL
(http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/) or CC0 waiver
(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC0)?").

I am wondering if that answer should not really be a NO. That is, they
clearly write that if you extract significant data, you still require
permisson. That does not sound like Open Data to me.

Do you agree with Nature that their answer is really YES, instead of
NO or YES/NO? If so, what arguments would you give for that? If not,
why do you think their answer does not open the doors for
discrimination against users, groups, or fields of endeavor?"

Egon

--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Research Associate