[open-science] Brief persuasive case for data sharing?

Dorothea Salo dorothea.salo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:52:28 UTC 2010

Maybe try this:

“Publicly available data was significantly (p=0.006) associated with a
69% increase in citations, independently of journal impact factor,
date of publication, and author country of origin.” Piwowar, Heather.
“Foundational studies for measuring the impact, prevalence, and
patterns of publicly sharing biomedical research data.” Dissertation,
University of Pittsburgh, 2010.

I just popped it into a slideshow of mine. I've also seen people use
the recent NYT story about data-sharing and Alzheimer's, though it's
not quite a paradigm case because the data there weren't fully open.

Dorothea

Dorothea Salo                dsalo at library.wisc.edu
Research Services Librarian      AIM: mindsatuw
University of Wisconsin
Rm 330B, Memorial Library
(608) 262-5493