[open-science] Brief persuasive case for data sharing?

Heather Piwowar hpiwowar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 21:11:38 UTC 2010

Thanks Dorothea!

That study was also published in PLoS ONE, in case you prefer a
non-dissertation citation:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000308

Similar, but earlier and with a way cooler title, is Gleditsch and
Strand's "Posting Your Data: Will You Be Scooped or Will You Be Famous?"
http://www.prio.no/Research-and-Publications/Publication/?oid=55406

Chris, another argument I've often heard: publicly archive your data so that
you can find it again later, yourself :)

There's also lots to be said about "being the change you want to
see," supplemented with stats on the frequency and implications of data
withholding, etc.  Let me know if you want refs, or you can brave a mongo
list of refs on data sharing/withholding at
Mendeley<http://www.mendeley.com/research-papers/collections/3498871/Data-sharing-and-withholding/>.
 I have many relevant papers tagged with "motivation" or similar.

You might also find something useful in the latter part of these
presentations? (1<http://www.slideshare.net/hpiwowar/why-study-data-sharing-why-share-your-data>,
2<http://www.slideshare.net/hpiwowar/measuring-the-adoption-of-open-science-presentation>
)

Let me know if I can be of more help....

Heather

Heather Piwowar
* *

* *

* *

* *

* *
*

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad

**

remote from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada

**

hpiwowar at nescent.org

** **

http://researchremix.org