[open-science] On expressing access constraints in a repository of mixed openness

Lance McKee lmckee at opengeospatial.org
Mon Sep 20 11:40:32 UTC 2010

Chris,

See the Geospatial Digital Rights Management Reference Model for (http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/as/geodrmrm
).
Here's a magazine article about GeoDRM: http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=28323
  .

I think the basic principles you seek to understand are in the GeoDRM,
though the focus is on geospatial data. Geospatial data are
particularly complex -- for example, there is frequently a need to
track the rights information about different data "layers" that have
been used to create a composite data layer.  So if this reference
model can be applied to geospatial data, I think it is likely it can
be adapted easily enough to work with other kinds of data.

Lance

Lance McKee
Senior Staff Writer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)