[open-science] On expressing access constraints in a repository of mixed openness

Tom Moritz tom.moritz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:36:39 UTC 2010

Whether an individual IDR would want to deal with data sets that are
constrained to various degrees -- "varied constraint" is certainly
the condition of corpus of data relevant to many key scientific problems?

This discussion brought to mind the Bose and Frew article from 2005 --
"Lineage retrieval for scientific data processing: a survey"
[SEE: http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1057978 ] (and a companion PPT
"  Tracking Metadata and Lineage of the Data Processing Chain for Mapping
Snow Cover Properties with the NASA MODIS" [SEE: http://tiny.cc/xpe37 ]* )
*
It seems to me that the terms of access for data are logically a subset of
the full description of data and lineage...? And that what we're after are
descriptive capacity to represent "terms of embargo as well as less precise
forms of constraint?"

*

Tom Moritz
1968 1/2 South Shenandoah Street,
Los Angeles, California 90034-1208  USA
+1 310 963 0199 (cell) [GMT -8]
tommoritz (Skype)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmoritz*

“Πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει” (Everything flows, nothing stands still.) --*
Heraclitus *
* "Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux."  ("One must imagine Sisyphus happy.")
-- Camus

*

Please think of trees before you print.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Chris Rusbridge <c.rusbridge at googlemail.com