[open-science] Working Group Title & Science Sections on okfn.org

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 16:15:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Jenny Molloy <jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> There has been some discussion (forwarded below) regarding the working
> group web pages and linking them together to make it easier for a newcomer
> to navigate. This has hopefully been improved a little but the naming of our
> working group is pretty inconsistent which could cause confusion, what title
> would people prefer?
>
> 1) OKF Open Data in Science Working Group (original title, still used on
> the group wiki http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/science)
> 2) OKF Open Science Working Group (used on the homepage
> http://science.okfn.org/ and consistent with the mailing list address)
> 3) OKF Science Working Group (consistent with our URLs)
>
> Thoughts and preferences most welcome, and then we can ensure everything is
> consistent on the websites (URLs and email address will not change) so its
> clear we're the same group!
>
> It's important to be clear about the terms and Open Data In Science is not
Open Science. The latter is a broad church which can include doing science
in the Open (i.e.  publishing everything directly to the web), making
materials and methods Open, breaking closed monopolies, etc. Open Data in
Science is a subset which requires only that the data (in its widest sense)
be made open at the time of "publication". I am a supporter of Open Science
, but I can conceive that there are many who are or can be convinced of Open
Data but who would never espouse Open Science .

P.