[open-science] Open Science/Open Data at Science Conferences

Heather Piwowar hpiwowar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:11:15 UTC 2011

> # Open Science/Open Data at Science Conferences
> Iain Hrynaszkiewicz is keen to find out whether open science and open
> data in science are presented at conferences that are not specifically
> aimed at the open community. If you have seen it done, have entered a
> proposal or know of any others who have then do start a conversation
> on the list. It would be useful to compare experiences to find out how
> best to approach this and get more exposure for the ideas of open
> data/open science.

I'm familiar with a few add-on workshops, birds-of-a-feature sessions, and
community forums set up adjacent to or within traditional conferences:

   - Open Science workshop 2009 <http://psb09openscience.wordpress.com/>,
   one day before the Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing.
   - Open (Notebook) Science
birds-of-a-feather<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/ismb-2007-bof-open-notebook-science/>
at
   2007 ISMB (followup<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/summary-of-ons-bof-at-ismb/#comments>
   )
   - Data archiving and Open notebook
sessions<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/evolution-2010-and-ievobio-recap/>at
Evolution and iEvoBio 2010
   - Open Science
birds-of-a-feather<http://researchremix.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/recap-of-ievobio-bof-on-open-science-data-sharing-reuse-credit/>at
iEvoBio 2010
   - Community Forum on Reproducible
Research<http://kingkong.amath.washington.edu/rrforum/>right before
ICIAM 2011
   - there was a panel proposal about Open Notebook Science submitted to
   iConference 2011 but it wasn't accepted

I think there was a workshop at a neuro conference before 2007 but I can't
easily find the link.

I've also presented my research into open data availability as solo
presentations/posters at several traditional science and infosci
conferences, for what that is worth.

Heather

--
Heather Piwowar

DataONE postdoc with NESCent and Dryad
  studying research data sharing and reuse
  remotely from Dept of Zoology, UBC, Vancouver Canada
http://researchremix.org
@researchremix <http://twitter.com/#!/researchremix>