[open-science] Open Science/Open Data at Science Conferences

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 19 20:17:04 UTC 2011

There have been lots of data sharing and data management activities over the
last decade in ecology and environmental science.  For example, we have
sponsored open data sharing and management workshops at the Ecological
Society of America annual conference since about 2000, held training
sessions for scientists on how to expose data in networks like the Knowledge
Network for Biocomplexity since about the same time, and held professional
development activities around exposing scientists at field stations and
early career faculty on principals of data sharing and tools for data
sharing.  As a rough estimate, our group of collaborators has probably held
30-40 workshop activities of this type aimed at science audiences since
roughly 2000.

Although I don't have links to all of these, here's a couple:

A KNB data sharing tools workshop in 2004:
http://knb.ecoinformatics.org/knbworkshop.jsp
>From our "Resource Discovery Initiative for Field Stations":
http://seek.ecoinformatics.org/Wiki.jsp%3Fpage=RCNTrainingOctober17November2003.html

This trend continues with new activities from NCEAS and the DataONE project.
 For example, we just held two workshops at this month's ESA meeting, one on
Data use and re-use that drew 51 scientists, and one on writing Data
Management plans that drew 212 participants.  We have upcoming workshops of
this sort at the Environmental Information Management workshop in September,
at Super Computing 2011 in November, and at the American Geophysical Union
meeting in December. Slides and information on these DataONE activities are
here:

https://www.dataone.org/trainings

Hope this is helpful in some way.
Matt