[open-science] science.okfn.org: New Local Groups Page

Maloney, Christopher (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] maloneyc at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Sat Aug 13 20:38:03 UTC 2011

Seeing this page, I got the idea to try to start an open-science local interest group in the Washington, DC area.  I've introduced myself to this group before - I work at PMC on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.  I think a DC group could potentially be a big win for pushing the cause of open-science at US government institutions, including the NIH.

I've never tried to do something quite like this before, so I'd really like to get suggestions for the best way to go about it.  Here are some specific questions:

-          Do you think it's a good idea?

-          Would it be best to get a select group of people committed to the idea first, before sending out any kind of announcement?

-          More generally, any advice on the timing of rolling it out, so as hopefully to draw the most interest, would be appreciated.

-          Anyone else on this list who's interested in helping on this group specifically?

-          Could I get help setting up a mailing list / web site?  (Maybe we don't need a web site at first).

-          Could I get help drafting up an announcement?  I think I would send it to the NCBI staff, once it's ready.

-          Any advice on how to run the group - details of running meetings, etc.

Cheers!

Chris Maloney
NIH/NLM/NCBI (Contractor)
Building 45, 5AN.24D-22